#3 Mozilla Firefox

Hi,

These weeks I focused on finishing the patches I had sent before, so Ping Diagnostic Tool is now reviewed+ and is waiting for landing. Along with it is a bug that was at the top of our stack because it was affecting the both diagnostic tools which me and Catalin had implemented.

This bug consists in a method that maps a NS_ERROR code to a string, more specific, NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY error code is mapped to “NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY”. We started with 2 ideas: a dictionary holding the (key, #key) pairs and an array of {key, #key} structures. We kept the second one because the hashtable was filling at runtime and this didn’t give us the expected level of performance. So, I began working on this method and I faced a really big problem, some of the error codes (some pseudo ones) was not unique within the Necko module and our method was returning unexpected results. I filed a bug with this problem and I sent a patch with unique error codes, but we gave up the idea because the module owner decided is not a thing to mess with, it has a lot of problems without localization and, to be honest, some tests crashed.

My work was not useless because out mentor had a great idea of constructing a second array with the duplicated codes and iterating firstly through this one, we get the desired results.

After this fight, I worked on tracing some data. We wanted to know how many bytes Firefox sent and how many it received. At that moment, the Networking Dashboard was keeping evidence of the data transferred through each active socket, but after the socket closed we didn’t know nothing about that amount of data. So, I created two bytes counters as members of the nsSocketTransportService class and, on every socket detach, the counters were updated. In the Dashboard class, I combined this counters with the existing tracing variables and now, about:networking has an improved data tracing feature.

By the time last week finished, I had taken a Telemetry bug and I warmed up for this week. This was very educative, I refreshed my knowledges about creating a new histogram and I found out that Firefox has a feature called DoNotTrack (shame on me, it shipped a long time ago) which lets you express a preference not to be tracked by websites. The guys wanted to know if usage measurements from telemetry line-up with their expectations and if anyone actually opts for “Yes, I want to be tracked”. I’ve sent a patch and now I’m waiting for a feedback because I’m not so sure if I understood right the behaviour they expect.

For each one of these features I’ve implemented some basic UIs for debugging purposes and some demos.

It was a great month, I’ve learned a lot of stuff and tricks (# and ## macro operators w0W!) and I’m eager for next evaluation and beer meeting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>